Recently I keep hearing more and more endurance athletes talk about MAF Training. In the Extramilest Facebook Group and in the Marathon PR Program, I’ve come across many athletes who shared positive experiences with MAF training.
Here is an example from Kyle Maguire: “The relaxing runs are stress relieving and have made me a healthier individual. If you would have asked me to run a 5k a year ago, I would have laughed but now I can handle 9 minute miles with ease and enjoy running. “
I have also seen a few videos and comments from YouTubers with negative viewpoints about MAF Training. When looking further into these comments, I’ve realized there are several misconceptions about this non-traditional training approach.
In today’s new episode #28 of the Extramilest Show, I’m taking a deeper dive into MAF Training and also discuss the following:
10 MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT MAF TRAINING
- MAF TRAINING IS ONLY TRAINING AT LOW HEART RATE
- YOU NEED SPEEDWORK TO RACE FASTER
- MAF TRAINING WORKS FOR EVERYONE
- MAF ONLY WORKS FOR THOSE WITH LOW FITNESS LEVELS
- THE MAF 180 FORMULA IS ACCURATE FOR EVERYONE
- MAF TRAINING DOESN’T WORK BECAUSE I HAVE TO WALK
- I’M NOT PROGRESSING, SO MAF TRAINING DOESN’T WORK
- YOUR MAF HR SHOULD BE AVERAGE HR ON WORKOUT
- MAF TRAINING HAS NO VARIATION
- THE MAF TRAINING APPROACH IS LIKE A CULT
Today is a different episode, no guest, just me Floris Gierman 🙂 More new guests coming on the show soon!
I would love to hear from you, what are your thoughts on MAF Training? Do you have any experience with it, if so what has your experience been like? Please let me know in the comments.
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
Listen to the conversation on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Stitcher or your other favorite podcast platform.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Watch the video on YouTube
- Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing by Dr Phil Maffetone
- Marathon PR Program
- Extramilest Facebook Group
- Jonathan Walton Extramilest Show
- Larisa Dannis Extramilest Show
- Josh Sambrook Extramilest Show
- Jason Cherriman
- Julianne Dickerson
- Mark Cucuzzella
- Mark Allen
Connect with me, Floris Gierman here:
Tried it for the first time today, kinda liked it allthough i needed to walk a lot 😊
That’s good to hear you enjoyed it Gert. Patience and consistency is key here for improvements to happen. All the best with your training!