“Failures, letdowns, mistakes, flaws, they do not define your value. In fact, those were never supposed to be limiting factors. All those things are supposed to propel us to something better.” – Sally McRae
Sally McRae (IG | Twitter) is a professional ultra/mountain runner. This summer she won the Toughest Footrace on the Planet, The Badwater 135 miler.
She is one of the most real, inspiring and positive people I have ever met. Sally is a trainer, coach, and mother of two active kids.
She is sponsored by Nike, COROS, Leki, Spring Energy, UltrAspire, Beam, and LyveCap.
We discuss mental training, pushing the limits, work / life balance, Badwater 135, strength training and more!
Hope you enjoy this conversation with Sally!
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Watch the video on YouTube
Links and Tools mentioned:
- Sally McRae on Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
- Website sallymcrae.com
- Her Playbook Strength App
- Her Choose Strong podcast
- 0:00 Intro Sally McRae
- 4:15 Sally’s athletic background
- 6:23 Dealing with her moms death at age 17
- 8:49 How soccer and sports connect people
- 9:58 Inspiring others through running
- 11:42 Time management for a busy pro athlete mother
- 18:58 Badwater 135 mile race
- 22:48 Difference between Badwater in 2018 and 2021
- 26:48 Importance of humbling experiences in running
- 28:20 Mindset and believe
- 29:43 Study your race environment
- 32:03 Discomfort teaches us to grow
- 38:44 The power of how we respond to situations
- 41:16 Last miles to winning Badwater 135
- 45:37 Mindset to make or break you
- 46:37 Judgment from outside world
- 51:37 Social media behavior
- 55:37 Sally’s first photoshoot with Nike
- 1:01:03 Strength training for runners, why / how
- 1:06:03 Sally’s strength running app
- 1:09:37 Connect with Sally
- 1:10:21 Recommendations for athletes to improve
- 1:12:28 Closing thoughts + next episode
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments.
This episode is brought to you by PATH projects running apparel. PATH makes premium running shorts, baseliners, shirts and hats.Recently PATH projects won Runner’s World Gear of the Year award for the 2nd time. This time for the Pyrenees hooded running shirt, it’s a shirt that I wear daily too. You can find out more at PATHprojects.com