Andy Blow is one of the first people I call if I want to nerd out on optimizing my nutrition and hydration for training and racing. He is a Sports Scientist and the co-founder of Precision Fuel & Hydration.
Andy Blow is a Sports Scientist with a degree in Sports and Exercise Science from the University of Bath. An expert in sweat, dehydration and cramping, Andy previously worked as the Team Sports Scientist for the Benetton and Renault Formula 1 teams and remains an adviser to the Porsche Human Performance Centre.
An elite level triathlete in his younger days, Andy has finished in the top-10 of Ironman and IM 70.3 races, as well as winning an Xterra World title. It was Andy’s own struggles with cramp and hydration that led to him specializing in electrolyte replenishment and founding Precision Fuel & Hydration. Andy is a leading figure in the world of sports hydration and has worked alongside Dr Raj Jutley, as well as other top sports scientists, to co-author a number of studies and books.
Visit https://visit.pfandh.com/Flo10 to get 10% off your first order of PF&H.
Enjoy my conversation with Andy.
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
► Listen on Apple Podcast, Spotify and Stitcher. or your other favorite podcast platform.
Extramilest Shows mentioned:
Hydration Strategies, Dehydration and Cramping with Andy Blow | Extramilest Show 43
Find Andy Blow and Precision Hydration, here:
- Website: https://visit.pfandh.com/Flo10
- The Fuel & Hydration Planner: https://visit.pfandh.com/floplanner
- Floris Chicago Marathon Case study: https://visit.pfandh.com/FloCaseStudy
- Book a free one-to-one video consultation: https://visit.pfandh.com/flovideocall
- Book a Sweat Test: https://visit.pfandh.com/flosweattest
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/precisionfa…
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/precisionfandh/
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/clubs/104959
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/precisionfandh/
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
- 00:00 common mistakes with bonking
- 01:53 welcome Andy!
- 02:41 common mistakes with fueling
- 02:26 race distance, intensity and carb intake
- 08:25 digestive system, tolerance
- 13:06 development of energy gels
- 16:47 cramp!
- 21:47 science of sweat
- 26:29 electrolyte deficiency
- 29:50 online electrolyte calculator
- 31:22 weather conditions and nutrition intake
- 34:52 gel consistency and flavor
- 36:42 salt pill tactics
- 38:17 side-aches (stitch)
- 41:20 journaling to identify areas for improvement
- 44:15 relax, it’s not over ‘til it’s over!
- 49:11 gender and fueling + hydration
- 52:06 find out more about Precision Hydration
- 53:44 closing thoughts
🚨 GIVEAWAY!! What was your favorite takeaway, lesson or quote from this video? Let me know in the YT comments. Win a $100 gift card to PATH projects. To enter, subscribe and comment here on YouTube. 1 winner will be picked by June 30th from the YouTube comments.🚨
Get a 10% discount off your first order of Precision Fuel & Hydration products. The discount code is FLO10 (discount automatically applied by clicking here). I have been training and racing with their gels with and without caffeine. I will be running the Berlin Marathon and the Revel Big Bear marathon with these gels and salt pills. Several other members in our Personal Best running coaching program are really enjoying their products as well. This 10% discount code is available at visit.pfandh.com/Flo10
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: