Dr. Phil Maffetone returns for a 4th Extramilest Show conversation. He is a recognized coach, researcher and clinician. He is also a musician with deep connections in the world of music. We discuss the relationship between music and health; the power of music and its relationship to the body. His book, B sharp! on the same subject, is out now.
Thanks to LMNT and PATH projects for sponsoring this video!
- Visit PATHprojects.com/FLO to get 10% off your order of PATH projects gear, limited time only.
- Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase.
Enjoy my conversation with Dr. Phil Maffetone!
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find Dr Phil Maffetone here:
Other Extramilest Shows with Dr. Phil Maffetone
- Dr. Phil Maffetone Interview about Heart Rate Training, Nutrition and Recovery
- Dr. Phil Maffetone on MAF Training with Low Heart Rate, Low Carb, Intervals, Ketosis, Fasting & more
- Dr. Phil Maffetone on Improving Your Running and Health | Extramilest Show #39
Links & Tools mentioned:
- Dr Phil Maffetone – the 5 minute power break
- The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing (book) by Dr Phil Maffetone
- Danny Dreyer (books) – Chi Running, Chi Walking
- The Creative Act: A Way of Being (book) by Rick Rubin
- George Martin (Biography)
- Carl Jung (about)
- Free association (more information)
- Digital Minimalism (book) by Carl Newport
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items in Amazon or on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
Show notes Dr Phil Maffetone (Round 4):
- 00:00 Train your brain
- 2:21 Sponsors: PATH projects, LMNT
- 04:45 Welcome back Dr. Phil Maffetone!
- 05:30 B sharp! Music as part of a holistic approach to health.
- 10:02 Music for athletes
- 16:22 Listening while exercising, or not.
- 22:41 Breathing patterns and brain adaptation
- 25:30 Listening to the body
- 27:00 Working with Rick Rubin
- 33:50 Self-doubt
- 34:45 The 5-minute power break, improving body function
- 37:50 Hearing new things in music
- 41:45 Real music vs junk, genre
- 46:15 Heart rate and music, alpha state, multi-tasking
- 52:00 Day dreaming vs distraction
- 53:25 You are addicted to your phone!
- 57:29 The brain and age
- 1:00:32 Our passions and dreams
- 1:01:35 Start line race day nerves
- 1:07:45 Impact of music on race day
- 1:10:27 The trainable brain
- 1:12:33 Where to find out more about Dr Phil Maffetone and his work
- 1:14:03 Advice to optimize health and performance
- 1:14:40 More training is often not better
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments on YouTube HERE.
Thanks to PATH projects for sponsoring this video. Visit PATHprojects.com/FLO to get 10% off your order of PATH projects gear. This is the only clothing that I wear every day. I use to on all my runs and also outside of running, for traveling, being an active dad with my kids, for work meetings. PATH projects makes shorts, pants, underwear, shirts and headwear. It’s the most comfortable gear and that’s why I replaced every item in my closet with PATH projects gear. For a limited time, save 10% at PATHprojects.com/FLO.
Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: