“If you’re doing stuff which is longer, if you’re doing stuff which is hotter, you need to understand your physiology in order to get things really right for you and invest the time in that investigation, to get the best out of yourself.” – Andy Blow
Andy Blow (IG|FB|TW) is a leading figure in the world of sports hydration. He is a sports scientist and an expert in sweat, dehydration and cramping.
In his younger days he was an elite level triathlete and winner of an Xterra World title. Through his own challenges in training and racing he went down the rabbit hole of sports hydration. Andy is the co-founder of Precision Hydration, a company focused on a unique, personalized hydration solutions.
Andy previously worked as the Team Sports Scientist for the Benetton and Renault Formula 1 teams and is an adviser to the Porsche Human Performance Centre.
In this episode, we take a deep dive into hydration, sweat rates, effective ways to help athletes understand and manage their individual hydration needs and much more.
For anyone who wants to try Precision Hydration, the code EXTRAMILEST will give you 15% off your first order.
I’d like to share two online running coaching programs that we offer, developed by me, Floris Gierman. More info can be found at extramilest.com/training.
There are many ways that you can go about your training and racing on your own, but there are also athletes who like some more guidance and structure in their training and racing. This is where our running programs come in, with base building schedules from 2 to 10+ hours per week and race specific schedules for beginners, intermediate and advanced runners.
Reaching your goals also comes down to specific race strategies, mindset, nutrition, stress management and more. This was what our programs are all about.
More info can be found at: MarathonPRprogram.com or 5ktohalfmarathon.com
These programs comes with life time access to all training materials, so you invest in yourself ones and can keep using it. If you have any questions at all about the programs, just let me know by email.
Especially in these uncertain race times, these flexible training schedules are a great solution to easy adjust your plans and feel in control of your training.
Hope you enjoy this conversation with Andy!
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
Listen to the conversation on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or your other favorite podcast platform.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Watch the video on YouTube
Links and tools mentioned:
- precisionhydration.com | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
- email: [email protected]
- cramp article
- take the free sweat test
- carbs/fluids/electrolytes for endurance
- can you overdose on electrolytes?
- how to measure your sweat rate
- hydration in colder weather
- how Andy got into the world of hydration [03:41]
- sweating light or heavy, fluid or electrolyte loss? Blood salt level and cardiovascular drift. [09:48]
- hydration plan – the ‘guard rail’ [14:23]
- Andy’s professional journey and key learnings Education first! [17:51]
- sweat test, data collection, trial and error [21:14]
- race day hydration strategy [30:52]
- hydration in colder weather [39:24]
- fasted runs and hydration [42:15]
- hyponatremia [44:18]
- everyday hydration [47:14]
- water quality [52:05]
- product sodium levels, for sport and in daily life [55:24]
- finding out more about Andy and Precision Hydration [01:01:58]
- the differences between individuals. Investigating your physiology. [01:02:59]
- closing thoughts and recommendations [01:03:59]
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here:
- My Training Course – The Marathon PR Program
- My Training Course – 5K to Half Marathon
- Weekly newsletter with Running Tips and Racing Strategies
- Facebook (Extramilest Group)