“During recovering is where the real adaptations of training are happening. That is not during the workout stress that you are putting on your body. That’s why I like this more holistic training approach, not just looking at the running component, but also at your stress levels, sleep, recovery, nutrition, hydration, all of these other elements that come into play to become an overall healthier athlete.” – Floris Gierman
It has been awesome to hear all the positive feedback on several of the last podcast episodes, it really means a lot. Two more new episodes coming up soon with Nate Helming from The Run Experience and with Tawnee Prazak Gibson from Endurance Planet.
Today is going to be a bit of a different show. I visit the Running and Fitness podcast with Raj, for me to be a guest on his show. Normally I’m the one interviewing, but this time the tables were turned.
- heart rate training
- how to integrate speedwork
- minimum training volume for athletes to improve
- role of strength training, nutrition and recovery
- and much more!
Rajagopal Anapuzha is located in Mumbai India and he has hosted a variety of great guests in the endurance space. You can subscribe to the Running and Fitness with Raj podcast on all major platforms.
Links and tools mentioned:
- Marathon PR Training Program
- 5K to Half Marathon Training Program
- Extramilest Facebook Group
- Floris Gierman on Strava, IG and YouTube
- Extramilest newsletter with Running Tips an Strategies
- Atomic Habits book by James Clear
- Matt D’Avella YouTube Channel
- Running and Fitness with Raj website + podcast
- Rajagopal Anapuzha on IG, FB and Twitter
- 03:30 – Floris introduces himself and his first two marathons
- 11:55 – Key aspects of low heart rate training
- 19:55 – When to add speed work
- 21:05 – Common frustrations in low heart rate training
- 26:10 – Minimum number of hours of low HR training required for improvements
- 32:05 – How to measure progress when training at low heart rate
- 34:50 – How and when to incorporate strength training
- 37:40 – Recovery tools like ice bath and sauna training
- 39:35 – Key nutrition principles
- 43:15 – Floris’ Marathon PR programme
- 45:30 – Recommendations on other resources