“Look at the non-running things. Is your diet working for you? Try to minimize your stress. Your runs should be enjoyable.” – Andrea Hudson
Andrea Hudson is a 63 year old runner and family nurse practitioner. In this interview we discuss how she was able to bring her marathon times down from close to 5 hours to a new PB of 3:33, at the 2022 Berlin Marathon.
Earlier this year she also started working with an additional coach, John Goldthorp.
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Andrea Hudson.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find Andrea Hudson here:
Links and Tools mentioned:
- Maurten gel – https://www.maurten.com/
- Ucan hydrate – electrolytes – https://amzn.to/3v0ZVAW
- Oura ring – https://ouraring.com/
- NutriSense CGM – https://bit.ly/3Xebylh (Get $25 off your first month CGM at Nutrisense.io with code FLO25)
- Kneipp German bath salts – https://amzn.to/3YxGQUL
- Vibrating foam rollers – https://amzn.to/3Yzs3Ja
Show notes Andrea Hudson:
- 00:00 Andrea and Floris intros
- 02:45 Group running
- 04:58 Andrea’s running journey
- 14:35 Low heart rate training and race improvements
- 19:52 Marathon Majors and training cycle going in
- 26:52 Race day strategy: Berlin Marathon
- 29:59 Sickness on race day! (London Marathon)
- 36:10 When it gets tough in the marathon
- 37:29 Mistakes runners make
- 38:11 Adventures in CGM’s (Continuous Glucose Monitor) and how we eat
- 41:48 Recommendations for starting out with low heart rate training
- 43:49 Reducing stress, visualisation, embracing the weather
- 47:13 Recovery, brutal foot massage
- 51:01 What’s next? Goals!
- 55:18 Closing thoughts
- 56:58 Outro Floris
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments on YouTube.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: