“The heart rate is a marker of what’s happening metabolically and physiologically; how we’re accessing fuel, how we’re teaching our body to use fat for fuel.” – Dr. Mark Cucuzzella
Dr. Mark Cucuzzella has ran the Boston Marathon 25 times and has a Personal Best of 2:24 in the marathon. For 30 years he has run a sub 3-hour marathon. He is also a doctor, author and professor of family medicine at West Virginia School of Medicine.
Dr. Mark is also a Lieutenant Colonel in the Airforce Reserves, designing programs to reduce running injuries in military personnel.
We recorded our first conversation in 2019, great to have him back on the show for Round 2!
🚨 Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. This drink has been formulated to help anyone with their electrolyte needs and is also perfectly suited to folks following a keto, low-carb, or paleo diet. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Mark Cucuzzella.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find Dr. Mark Cucuzzella here:
Links and Tools mentioned:
- Lydiard Foundation
- Dr. Stephen Seiler TED Talk
- The Borg scale
- Polar OH1 heart rate monitor
- Harvard longitudinal study of ageing
- Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)
- If you’d like to try NutriSense, the code FLO25 will give you $25 off the first month.
- LMNT electrolytes, free sample pack with any purchase
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items in Amazon or on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
- Dr Mark Cucuzzella, Round 1, Extramilest Show #18
- Dr Phil Maffetone, Extramilest Show #3
- Dr Phil Maffetone, Extramilest Show #8
- Dr Phil Maffetone, Extramilest Show #39
- Mark Allen, Extramilest Show 5
- Dr Stephen Seiler on Extramilest Show #50
- Kipchoge’s Advice to Race Faster, For Non-Elites
- Kilian Jornet on Extramilest Show #51
- Kilian Jornet on Extramilest Show #52
- Endure IQ Dr Dan Plews
Show notes Dr. Mark Cucuzzella:
- 0:00 start video
- 3:23 the roots and growth of low heart rate training
- 2:41 learning from the best
- 15:11 starting out with low heart rate training and troubleshooting
- 20:21 balancing high and low intensity workouts
- 23:54 lactate shuttle, earning the right to do interval training
- 32:14 lactate testing
- 35:16 continuous glucose and heat rate monitoring / train first, data later
- 39:55 blood work for athletes; diet, thyroid, cholesterol
- 53:49 medical concerns before training
- 56:42 running form, recreational and elite
- 1:03:22 running relaxed, race mantra, coping with discomfort
- 1:05:34 blue zones, Harvard longitudinal study of ageing
- 1:10:03 more about Dr. Mark
- 1:12:59 closing thoughts
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments on YouTube and 1 person wins a copy of Dr Mark Cucuzzella’s book, Run For Your Life.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: