“Comparison is the thief of joy. You have to be consistent and persistent in YOUR OWN JOURNEY! – Martinus Evans on Extramilest Show #65
Martinus Evans has run over eight marathons since his doctor told him to “lose weight or die” in July 2012, he was that out of shape. Since then, he’s also coached hundreds of runners and founded the Slow AF Run Club, a community of over 10,000 members worldwide. He is also the author of the book Slow AF Run Club: The ultimate guide for anybody who wants to run. When he’s not running races around the world, he enjoys speaking passionately about issues related to size-inclusivity, mindset, DEI and mental health.
🚨 Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
Enjoy my conversation with Martinus.
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
► Listen on Apple Podcast, Spotify and YouTube, or your other favorite podcast platform.
Find out more about Martinus and Slow AF Run Club:
Slow AF Run Club
Links & Tools:
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
- 0:00 Intros
- 3:36 Welcome Martinus!
- 4:12 Doctor, I can run a marathon.
- 7:05 Who is this sport of running designed for?
- 11:10 If it don’t apply, let it fly
- 13:32 Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE Scale), finding enjoyment
- 16:57 Early running club experiences
- 19:12 Prove them wrong
- 20:06 The origins and growth of Slow AF Run Club & Foundation!
- 25:03 Slow AF member momentum.. getting to a million
- 26:28 Athlete mindset
- 29:00 Comparison is the thief of joy
- 30:15 Start slow, be persistent and build consistently, strength – take care of the basics
- 33:49 Raceday strategy for new runners
- 36:57 First marathon experience (Detroit)
- 44:05 Tools for running ~ mental and physical. Goals and habits.
- 49:33 Writing the book ~ Slow AF Run Club: The Ultimate Guide for Anyone Who Wants to Run
- 54:32 Where to find out more about Martinus and Slow AF Run Club
- 55:46 Closing thoughts
🚨 GIVEAWAY – Win a copy of The Slow AF Run Club Book by Martinus. What was your favorite takeaway, lesson or quote from this video? Let me know in the YouTube comments. To enter, subscribe and comment here on YouTube. 3 winners will be picked by June 30th from the YouTube comments.🚨
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: