“The WALL isn’t there to stop you from your dream, the wall is there to see how bad you want it.
You have to be able to roll with the punches.
You have to be able to follow your dreams.
The wall is there to keep the other people out.
If it were easy, everyone would do it and it wouldn’t be as meaningful.
So it is there to test how much you want it.
If you are able to overcome the wall, that’s what makes a marathon finish, a 100 mile finish, a PR, that’s what makes it satisfying.
You had to grind through something really difficult.
You had to take your fear and your doubt and stare it right in the face and continue doing it, regardless.”
– Jimmy Dean Freeman in Extramilest Show #59.
CLICK HERE to watch this new interview with my first running coach in 2013 and 2014, coach Jimmy Dean Freeman.
- 0:00 start video
- 8:30 Jimmy’s background as a runner
- 12:35 Favorite; track, treadmill, trail, road?
- 15:30 Jimmy’s coaching history
- 19:00 Process orientation vs. outcome orientation
- 21:05 The War Room, race strategy
- 24:00 Discomfort levels and how quickly things can turn
- 25:55 Finding flow in racing and in daily life
- 33:40 The glass ceiling
- 45:00 Going after BIG goals
- 49:30 Injury and form dysfunction
- 52:25 Running relaxed, being present
- 53:10 When do you back off in training?
- 55:55 Best ways to recover
- 58:40 A Heart Rate Monitor and training without one
- 1:01:25 Dealing with colds and illness. Below the neck “rule”
- 1:07:05 Nailing your pre race taper
- 1:09:40 Recovery based on age and gender
- 1:12:55 Why Jimmy is a running coach?
- 1:14:50 Learning from mistakes (the hard way)
- 1:18:27 Closing thoughts
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT JIMMY
ABOUT THE EXTRAMILEST SHOW: A podcast and YouTube channel where host Floris Gierman interviews world class athletes, coaches and health experts on the topic of how to become a stronger, healthier and happier athlete. More info about our running coaching program can be found at PBprogram.com.
What was your favorite lesson, takeaway or quote from this episode? Let me know HERE in the comments. 1 winner will win a $100 PATH projects gift card, to be announced 3/31/2023.
Have fun out there on your runs!
Forwarded this message? Sign up here. Join 10k+ weekly readers, get exclusive access, giveaways, private Q&A’s and more. No spam, ever.