“You want to improve as an athlete and that is great. You can’t think of your mental health of being an isolated thing that isn’t going to improve your performance.” – Jennifer Schmidt
Jennifer Schmidt helps active people navigate their mental health challenges towards wellness. She is a Recreation Therapist and Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, taking athletes mental health beyond exercise.
We talk about:
- Flight or Flight vs Rest & Digest
- Biological responses to stress
- Getting to the root causes of anxiety and depression
- Cold exposure
- Identity in sport
- Light, laughter, journaling, energy levels and more!
Thanks also to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Visit DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free LMNT sample pack with any purchase.
Hope you enjoy this episode with Jennifer Schmidt.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find out more about Jennifer here:
Links & Tools mentioned:
- 00:00 intro
- 03:06 welcome Jennifer! Getting into mental health coaching for athletes.
- 05:15 mental health starts in the body
- 06:54 recognizing mental health issues in athletes
- 10:56 getting to the root causes of stress responses, looking at biology
- 16:02 anxiety and depression as symptoms, not isolated states
- 17:01 practical ways to manage anxiety in the moment
- 20:29 inflammation with anxiety and depression
- 22:31 nail the basics, then get to the “fancy” stuff
- 23:47 stress of busy schedules and talking about our emotions
- 28:47 potential benefits of cold exposure
- 36:29 light and mood, circadian rhythms, SAD lamps
- 40:57 injury and identity with sport
- 44:04 journaling, stream of consciousness writing and gratitude
- 47:39 laughter is the best medicine!
- 53:48 transformational journeys for athletes
- 58:22 holistic approach to training and health
- 1:00:22 mental health after racing, finding that dopamine hit!
- 1:03:03 find out more about Jennifer
- 1:04:32 closing thoughts
- 1:05:34 outro
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items in Amazon or on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
What was your favorite lesson, takeaway or quote from this episode? Please let me know in the YouTube comments.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here:
- Strava | YouTube | Instagram
- Personal Best Program
- Weekly newsletter with Running Tips and Racing Strategies