Kyle Whalum is a non-elite runner, located in Los Angeles with his wife and 2 young kids. He is also the bass player for Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry and The Voice.
MAF low heart rate training and cutting out alcohol has made a huge positive impact in many areas of Kyle’s life. We recently recorded a conversation about his running and health journey. CLICK HERE to watch it on YouTube.
His habits around daily meditation and the positive impact it has made on his running and life is eye opening. Got me thinking about more frequent and longer meditation sessions too.
Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Visit DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free LMNT sample pack with any purchase.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find out more about Kyle here:
Links & tools mentioned:
- 0:00 How to enjoy your running practice
- 3:00 Sponsor LMNT
- 4:35 How Kyle got into meditation out of necessity
- 13:40 How to get into consistent meditation
- 18:30 How meditation can improve your running
- 21:20 MAF training experiences and learnings
- 26:50 Why and how Kyle stopped drinking alcohol
- 28:20 Advice for first 6 months of MAF training
- 31:10 Kyle’s first breakthrough with the MAF method
- 34:00 Base building and high intensity running
- 35:21 Advice to start with MAF running
- 37:00 Lifestyle changes, taking a look under the hood
- 38:05 How combine working late, dad mode and running?
- 43:12 Floris shares his skateboard tour experiences
- 45:17 Night shift workers and sleep approach
- 48:50 Sacrifices to reach big goals
- 53:35 Cutting out alcohol, setting up support system
- 57:28 Poster Floris office, My Life In Weeks
- 1:01:40 Having fun besides drinking alcohol
- 1:06:55 Advice for athletes looking to improve
- 1:08:46 Closing thoughts Floris
- 1:09:44 How to run and be present
- 1:11:35 Personal Best Program Community
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items in Amazon or on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
What was your favorite lesson, takeaway or quote from this episode. Please let me know in the YouTube comments.