“The reasons why we run has to be much more than saying ‘I will run at this pace or finish at this time’, for me it’s much, much more than that.. it’s a deeper reason for why I’m doing this.” – Maria Lurenda S. Westergaard
Maria Lurenda Westergaard is a runner, a Doctor of Medicine and member of our Personal Best Program. In our conversation, Maria shares insights from her research and tracking (stress, sleep, nutrition and strength) approach to running. Maria is an inspiring runner, who talks about health and asks about what really matters, when it comes to running.
🚨 Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
Enjoy my conversation with Maria.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
More from Maria, here:
Extramilest shows mentioned:
Links and Tools mentioned:
- Marathon at 80 (website)
- Personal Best Program
- Lori Harder
- Team Hoyt
- Team Twin / Team Tvilling (Denmark)
- Berlin Marathon
- Valencia Marathon
- Copenhagen Marathon
- Boston Marathon
- Continous Glucose Monitor
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
- 00:00 Compare to yourself
- 02:38 Sponsor: LMNT
- 03:50 Welcome Maria! Running and background.
- 05:34 Relocating to Europe from the Philippines, Medical work, Boston Strong
- 09:05 Maybe I should run a marathon!
- 11:37 Early stages of Maria’s running journey
- 15:04 Developing as a runner, using your strengths to improve confidence
- 18:39 Comparison should be inspiring!
- 21:06 MAF improvements, data over time
- 23:40 Other forms of success
- 25:19 Health first, running performance will follow..
- 27:39 Energy level after running, heart rate indicators
- 29:16 4 areas of tracking: stress, sleep, nutrition & strength
- 42:00 Benefits of data and journaling
- 43:48 Coffee and Floris’ upcoming Berlin Marathon
- 45:48 Valencia Marathon
- 51:00 Different types of runners, what really matters?
- 58:28 Health concerns, running with grief (Copenhagen & Guam)
- 1:05:00 Calm and low heart training, problem-solving while running
- 1:07:44 Lessons from low heart training journey, future goal: Marathon at 80!
- 1:14:00 Find out more about Maria
- 1:15:35 Closing thoughts
What was your favorite lesson, takeaway or quote from this episode. Please let me know in the YouTube comments.
🚨 GIVEAWAY!! Win a 30 minutes Zoom Coaching Call with Coach Floris Gierman. To enter, subscribe to my YouTube channel & comment: what was your favorite takeaway, lesson or quote from this video? 2 winners will be picked by May 30th from the YouTube comments.🚨
To learn more about our running coaching program, from 5k to marathons and ultra distances, visit PBprogram.com, that is the Personal Best Program at PBprogram.com