Wissam Kheir is a PB Program member who started MAF training in 2018. He is a Clinical Psychologist, Psychotherapist and an Assistant Professor at the Lebanese American University in Beirut, Lebanon. Wissam is also a marathon and ultramarathon runner, swims, bikes and is a self-confessed data freak.
We talk about health and race improvements through MAF low heart rate training and the important psychological aspects of goal setting, self-actualization and building the aerobic base.
Thanks to PATH projects for sponsoring this video. Visit PATHprojects.com/FLO to get 10% off your order of PATH projects gear. This is the only clothing that I wear every day. I use to on all my runs and also outside of running, for traveling, being an active dad with my kids, for work meetings. PATH projects makes shorts, pants, underwear, shirts and headwear. It’s the most comfortable gear and that’s why I replaced every item in my closet with PATH projects gear. For a limited time, save 10% at PATHprojects.com/FLO.
Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
Enjoy my conversation with Wissam.
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
► Listen on Apple Podcast, Spotify and Stitcher. or your other favorite podcast platform.
Find out more about Wissam, here:
Links & Tools mentioned:
- Floris running Sub 3 with Go Pro, HERE (2015) and HERE (2023).
- David Goggins
- Andrew Huberman (YouTube)
- Normatec PRO 2.0
Extramilest Shows mentioned:
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
- 5:12 welcome Wissam!
- 6:16 from no pain – no gain, to MAF
- 13:19 dealing with early stages of MAF training
- 17:39 running from a psychological perspective
- 20:35 progress and breakthrough with low heart rate training
- 23:56 first marathons, to improvements through MAF
- 31:24 dealing with a hot climate and sauna in Winter
- 35:34 goal setting, discipline, self-actualisation, context of culture
- 38:26 always ready with MAF, 100 mile self-navigated run
- 42:55 getting out of your comfort zone, dealing with pain, race pace
- 49:05 the MAF population: being humble and being obsessive
- 53:52 bike accident
- 55:29 Ironman
- 60:52 combining family life with training, finding time
- 62:24 being selective, adaptive behaviours, the company you keep
- 1:06:36 recovery tools
- 1:07:37 nutrition, intermittent fasting, high training volume
- 1:14:17 ice bath, working with discomfort
- 1:16:01 training and racing goals / bucket list
- 1:20:03 closing thoughts
🚨 GIVEAWAY!! Win the book The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing by Dr Phil Maffetone. To enter, subscribe to my YouTube channel & comment: what was your favorite takeaway, lesson or quote from this video? 1 winners will be picked by May 30th from the YouTube comments.🚨
To learn more about our running coaching program, from 5k to marathons and ultra distances, visit PBprogram.com, that is the Personal Best Program at PBprogram.com
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: