“You want to be hard to kill. Period.” – Matt Choi
Matt Choi is a Korean / American Hybrid Athlete, combining strength and endurance. He is also an entrepreneur and content creator, with a large audience on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube.
- how he structures his training as a hybrid athlete
- mistakes he sees many athletes make in training
- how to set yourself up for long term success in training, racing and everyday life.
This episode is brought to you by PATH projects running apparel. Main reason I like these shorts are the separate shorts from the base liner. The short can ride up and down, while the base liner stays in place and wicks moisture. Eliminates all chafing issues. You can save 10% off your order of PATH projects gear at PATHprojects.com/flo
Thanks also to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Visit DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free LMNT sample pack with any purchase.
Hope you enjoy this episode with Matt Choi.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find out more about Matt here:
Links & Tools mentioned:
- 00:00 Intro
- 03:05 welcome to Matt! Tips for newer athletes.
- 05:54 transition from high intensity to slowing down
- 08:07 what is a hybrid athlete?
- 10:45 strength, individualized training and healthy ageing
- 12:55 training week structure, nutrition, recovery
- 16:09 mistakes hybrid athletes make, intensity and recovery
- 21:17 race day examples from Matt: what worked and what didn’t!
- 26:29 dealing with adversity, how we talk to ourselves
- 34:26 “motivation” and discipline
- 38:08 lessons learned from David Goggins
- 41:20 pulling from different energy systems
- 43:24 what Matt and Floris noticed after taking Creatine
- 53:33 what footwear is right for you and why
- 1:02:01 nutrition principles as a hybrid athlete
- 1:07:39 find out more about Matt
- 1:08:32 closing thoughts
- 1:10:47 outro
Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn commissions if you purchase items via my affiliate links. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Affiliate links do not increase cost to you. Also, you do not need to use these links. You can also search for these same items in Amazon or on any search engine/shopping site of your choice and buy/research them that way.
What was your favorite lesson, takeaway or quote from this episode. Please let me know in the YouTube comments.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here:
- Strava | YouTube | Instagram
- Personal Best Program
- Weekly newsletter with Running Tips and Racing Strategies