“What’s tricky with endurance sports, or any high-level performers, or any amateur athlete, for that matter, who is trying to get something out of themselves, is that we can see a very clear cross over between good athlete traits and traits of those with eating disorders.” – Tawnee Prazac Gibson
Tawnee is a holistic health and endurance sports coach, mother, multi-sport athlete, writer and speaker. She has a master’s degree in exercise science, a bachelor’s in journalism, is a certified sports nutritionist (CISSN-ISSN) and certified strength and conditioning coach (CSCS-NSCA).
Tawnee faced her share of health struggles behind the scenes. For 10 years, she experienced disordered eating and exercise addiction. We discuss her personal journey and what she has noticed in other athletes that she works with. These are important challenges to talk about for both women and men.
There are many athletes who suffer from unhealthy relationships with food, body and exercise. It’s important to address some of these issues.
We also discuss:
- healing and recovery
- gut health
- intermittent fasting, ketosis
- blood tests, DNA and lifestyle analysis
Hope you enjoy this conversation with Tawnee!
Want to receive the weekly newsletter for Extramilest? Sign up here!
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Watch the video on YouTube
Links and tools mentioned:
- Endurance Planet – website | Instagram | Twitter
- Tawnee bio – enduranceplanet.com
- Lucho bio – enduranceplanet.com
- Oryoki (mindful eating)
- Ryan Holiday (The Daily Dad)
- Chrissie Wellington
- Welcome to the show Tawnee [03:01]
- Tawnee’s running journey. An eating disorder and exercise addiction were pivotal in Tawnee’s journey from power, to endurance sport. [04:44]
- how triathlon helped and hurt Tawnee. Do we have an honest relationship with sport, or do we have some unhealthy habits? [07:36]
- recovery journey. Dr. Phil Maffetone. Back to school. [14:03]
- disordered eating [18:16]
- blood, DNA and lifestyle analysis. Biological and Internal age. [24:10]
- intermittent fasting. Gut health. nutritional deficiencies. [27:39]
- change in approach – from “no pain no gain”, to the present. [35:23]
- Endurance Planet podcast takeaways. Focus on the process. Support system. [41:23]
- Van life. Running and mindset. [45:13]
- Meditation retreat ~ Oryoki (mindful eating) [49:21]
- No phone! What about taking pics? [56:14]
- Heroes and mentors [01:00:15]
- Further information about Tawnee and Endurance Planet, online. (see Links above also) [01:03:17]
- Closing thoughts on becoming a healthier, happier and stronger athlete. [01:09:48]
- Tawnee asks Floris how his running is going. [01:10:43]
- Short workouts. Fitting it in whatever the season! [01:11:50]