“Glucose is essentially our primary energy source. So, when we can see in real time; not an hour later, or a month later, or a year later, we can see in real time – based on what we’re doing, what we’re eating, how we’re sleeping – we can dial in things much quicker and get that feedback loop much faster. That’s the power of real-time data.“ – Kara Collier
Kara Collier is the co-founder and Director of Nutrition at NutriSense – a leading personalized nutrition company that uses new technology to monitor the body and create personalized diets and optimized fitness routines.
In Extramilest Show #53, we discuss:
- What is a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM)?
- Correlations between energy and glucose levels
- Fasting, snacking, meal prep and Circadian rhythms
- First pillar of glucose control: Nutrition
- Second pillar of glucose control: Movement
- Third pillar of glucose control: Stress Management
- Fourth pillar of glucose control: Sleep
- Training intensity and glucose levels
- Floris’ Chicago Marathon 2022 data
- Fuelling for athletes – rules of thumb
The code FLO25 will give you $25 off the first month at Nutrisense.io
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Kara Collier.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find Kara Collier here:
Links and Tools mentioned:
Show notes Kara Collier:
- 0:00 Intro: Kara Collier
- 1:07 Intro: Floris
- 2:50 Start
- 3:34 What is a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) and what are the benefits?
- 6:25 Individual experiences with food
- 9:27 Normal range to be in, for non-diabetics
- 11:16 Heart Rate training and the limitations of average data
- 13:04 Fasted glucose level
- 13:56 Correlation between energy and glucose levels
- 15:47 First pillar of glucose control: Nutrition
- 21:30 Melatonin levels in evening or at night
- 23:25 Fasting, snacking, meal prep and Circadian rhythms
- 30:00 Second pillar of glucose control: Movement
- 35:33 Third pillar of glucose control: Stress Management
- 41:18 Fourth pillar of glucose control: Sleep
- 44:36 Low and high intensity workouts and glucose levels
- 48:26 Floris’ Chicago Marathon 2022 data
- 57:44 More on Nutrisense and Kara
- 58:52 Fuelling for athletes – rules of thumb
- 1:01:13 Closing thoughts (Floris) – Nutrisense discount
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: