“These doctors said ‘look, maybe you should just start cycling or just give up running’. That was the last thing I wanted to hear because I still wanted to be the runner, I still wanted to run.“ – Astrid Feyer
Astrid Feyer is a 47-year-old mother of two, currently living in Australia. She is also an exceptional Marathon runner. She has experienced her fair share of injuries and discovered MAF low heart rate training, as a way to ease back into training and gradually increase training volume. In 2020, she joined my Personal Best running coaching program and it has been really exciting to follow her running journey over the last few years.
At the recent London Marathon, Astrid ran a 2:49 finishing time which was a Personal Best and she was also able to achieve 3rd place in her age category.
In this interview we discuss being a working, busy Mother and getting the training volume in, about a running journey which comes full circle, through injury, MAF training and exceeds a long-held PB!
🚨 Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to http://DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. This drink has been formulated to help anyone with their electrolyte needs and is perfectly suited to folks following a keto, low-carb, or paleo diet. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Astrid Feyer.
Watch this full interview on YouTube
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
► Listen on Apple Podcast, Spotify and Stitcher. or your other favorite podcast platform.
Find Astrid Feyer here:
Links and Tools mentioned:
- Phil Maffetone Big Yellow Book of Training & Racing
- Personal Best Program – https://www.pbprogram.com/
- LMNT Electrolyte Drink – https://drinklmnt.com/
Show notes Astrid Feyer:
- 0:00 Intro Astrid Feyer
- 0:55 Intro Floris
- 3:48 How it all started, running journey
- 9:10 Stellenbosch (South Africa) run camp trip
- 12:04 No pain no gain, knee operations
- 13:12 Move to Australia, running and racing again
- 18:14 Sub 3-hour marathon goal
- 19:43 A back step, a new physio and a big yellow book
- 22:02 Personal Best program, MAF training
- 25:57 Back to racing, chasing sub 2:50
- 31:52 Virtual London Marathon
- 33:31 Marathon training and preparation
- 37:47 MAF test
- 39:49 Training volume and parenting
- 42:54 London, for real!
- 47:49 Meeting one of your heroes and other familiar faces
- 50:22 Tips for runners
- 51:12 New York Marathon
- 52:59 Activities while injured
- 54:52 Nutrition and high training volume
- 56:31 Outro
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments on YouTube.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: