“Anytime I take someone who hasn’t been lifting and I have them start lifting, I’m like alright, for the first week, stop when you can do 10 more reps if you wanted to. It has to feel super easy because you are going to get super sore.” – Ryan Hall
Ryan Hall is the fastest American to run a marathon, in 2:04:58 (in 2011) and half marathon, in 59:43 (2007). That’s a half-marathon pace of 4:33 min / mile or 2:50 min / km.
This interview took place in Flagstaff, Arizona, where he lives with his wife; professional American distance runner, Sarah Hall and their four children. After retiring from professional running in 2016, Ryan took up weightlifting and significantly increased in size, from 58G / 127lbs to (at time of recording) 85KG / 187lbs. He runs his own running coaching program and coaches recreational to elite runners.
🚨 Thanks to LMNT for sponsoring this video! Head to http://DrinkLMNT.com/FLO to get your free sample pack with any purchase. LMNT is a delicious sugar-free electrolyte drink mix that I have been drinking for several years now. This drink has been formulated to help anyone with their electrolyte needs and is perfectly suited to folks following a keto, low-carb, or paleo diet. For runners symptoms of electrolyte deficiency are common. LMNT can help prevent and eliminate headaches, muscle cramps, fatigue, sleeplessness, and other common symptoms. Right now LMNT is offering my listeners a free sample pack with any order, That’s 8 single serving packets FREE with any LMNT order. This is a great way to try all 8 flavors. Get yours at DrinkLMNT.com/FLO.
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Ryan Hall.
► Watch the interview on YouTube.
Find Ryan Hall here:
- Instagram: @ryanhall3
- Twitter: @ryanhall3
- Run Free Training
- The Hall Steps Foundation
- YouTube: #RunFreeTraining
- Run the Mile You’re In – (book) by Ryan Hall
Show notes Ryan Hall:
- 0:00 Intro Ryan Hall
- 2:59 Finding running as a kid
- 6:27 Running coaching
- 7:22 Ryan’s own training
- 11:37 Strength training for runners
- 18:45 Nutrition and strength for runners
- 22:02 Consistency, avoiding injury
- 23:50 Mobility for running
- 26:12 Run Free training program
- 33:43 The carbon-plated running shoe
- 35:22 Grand Canyon running
- 39:45 Love the pain cave
- 41:47 Relaxation and running
- 42:41 The pitfalls of comparison with others
- 43:49 Natural body weight
- 47:24 Family connections, cross-training
- 48:30 Failure, spiritual journey
- 54:30 Ryan’s book: Run the Mile You’re In
- 59:05 Find Ryan here + Hall Steps Foundation.
- 1:02:18 Paying attention to your passions
- 1:03:52 Outro
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments on YouTube HERE.
You can find me, Floris Gierman, here: