Danny Huibregtse (Strava) from The Netherlands, improved his marathon times from a 3:59 to a 2:34, using heart rate training. In his last marathon he ran a 34 minute PB from 3:08 down to 2:34, an incredible performance!
We discuss his approach to training and racing, how he improved so much and recommendations for other athletes looking to race faster.
Danny and I first connected during the summer of 2019. Danny has been a part of our Personal Best Training Program and it has been really exciting to follow his training and racing progress over time.
Our Personal Best Program is a running coaching program and we often focus on MAF low heart rate training and race day strategies. To learn more, check out PBprogram.com
I hope you enjoy my conversation with Danny Huibregtse.
Watch this full interview on YouTube.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
- Watch the video on YouTube
Find Danny Huibregtse here:
- Danny Huibregtse on Strava
- Danny’s 2:34 Personal Best marathon on Strava
Show notes Danny Huibregtse interview:
- 0:00 intro Danny
- 3:55 Danny’s running background
- 6:18 His first marathon in 2008 at age 18
- 10:25 Pilot training, minimal running
- 11:55 3rd marathon, still bonking bad
- 14:10 MAF training experience
- 15:25 Chi-Running
- 19:05 Overcoming challenges MAF training
- 23:05 Changes in nutrition approach
- 28:00 His first sub 3 marathon goal mindset
- 31:25 Speedwork after base building
- 34:25 From 3:38 to 3:08 marathon improvement
- 36.30 Mindset limiting factor
- 37:20 From 3:08 to 2:34 marathon improvement
- 37:55 Training volume
- 40:55 Tapering for the big Rotterdam dam
- 43:25 Race day recap
- 52:05 Any concerns about blowing up?
- 54:05 The feeling of finishing in 2:34, a 34 minute PB
- 56:05 Energy management throughout a race
- 58:55 Nasal breathing
- 1:01:35 Importance of thinking big
- 1:05:53 Recommendations to improve
I’d love to hear from you, what was your favorite lesson, quote or takeaway. Please let me know in the comments.